KY Dept. of Veterans Affairs

KDVA is a department of state government that falls directly under the governor’s office, whose website is There is an abundance of valuable information available at that site.

The three branches within this department support the Commonwealth’s veterans in regards to nursing home care, cemeteries, and benefits. The Region 6 (Northern Kentucky) Field Rep stationed in Grant County focuses exclusively on benefits, although veterans’ inquiries for the other two areas of assistance can be forwarded to the appropriate offices in Frankfort or elsewhere.

Currently, Region 6 includes twelve counties in Northern Kentucky (Boone, Bracken, Campbell, Carroll, Gallatin, Grant, Harrison, Henry, Kenton, Owen, Pendleton, and Trimble). To support the veterans in these counties, the Field Rep travels to each county at least once a month to work with veterans at a central location convenient for them. The Grant County location serves as a Regional Office for administrative purposes, although appointments can be made at that location with adequate prior notice throughout the month.

Veterans seeking Medical & Prescriptions

For veterans seeking medical coverage or prescription drugs from the VA, such may be accomplished most easily by directly contacting the VA Medical Center (VAMC) or Community-Based Outreach Clinic (CBOC) of choice, asking for an enrollment package from the Eligibility Office. Here are telephone numbers for nearby facilities:

Eligibility Office
Lexington (KY) VAMC
Bellevue (KY) CBOC
Florence (KY)
Cincinnati (OH)
Louisville (KY) VAMC

Benefits for which KDVA can assist veterans and certain dependents


  • Service-connected disability compensation,
  • Non-service-connected disability pensions,
  • Dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC) for surviving spouses of veterans whose death was service-connected, who were 100% disabled at the time of death, or who died while in the service,
  • Death pensions for surviving spouses of deceased combat-era veterans with limited incomes,
  • Appeals of denied or underrated claims for the four previous areas of benefits,
  • Requests for upgrades and reevaluations of open service-connected disability claims,
  • Vocational rehabilitation for service-connected disabled veterans,
  • Requesting benefits through the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of
  • Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) for spouses or children of totally disabled veterans, or of deceased veterans whose death was service-connected